Jeanette (Jeanne) Helena Goosen was born on 13 July 1940 in Parow, Cape Town. She attended Parow High School and studied radiography at the University of Cape Town. She has since followed a variety of careers, among others radiographer, farmer, fisher, and also journalist at Afrikaans daily papers like Oggendblad, Hoofstad and Transvaler and the Natal paper Tempo.
Jeanne is one of the most versatile writers in Afrikaans, with poetry (’n Uil vlieg weg), novels (Ons is nie almal so nie), novellas (Wie is Jan Hoender?), short stories (’n Kat in die sak), plays (Kombuis-blues) and cabaret. She published her first volume of poetry ’n Uil vlieg weg in 1971, but it is above all for her award-winning book Ons is nie almal so nie that she became known. This book was awarded the CNA, Rapport and M-Net Prizes.
Her cabarets and plays are still performed with great success. In 2001 a compilation of Jeanne's work by Susanne Beyers and Joanie Combrink titled Dalk is ons almal só was performed.
Jeanne is currently a regular columnist for By, a supplement to Die Burger and Beeld.
Did you know?
- Jeanne has obtained her licentiate in piano at Unisa and she also plays the clarinet.
- Kombuis-blues received the Vita Award with Trudie Taljaard in the leading role and Sandra Prinsloo as director. It was performed nation-wide as well as in London, Frankfurt, Brussels, Leuven en The Hague.
- She was part of the Afrikaans group of writers that met with the ANC in 1989 at Victoria Falls.
- There is a photograph of Sandra Prinsloo on the cover of the first edition of Ons is nie almal so nie. The book is also dedicated to “Sandra”. André P Brink translated Ons is nie almal so nie (We're not all like that) into English.
Plante kan praat, Kwela (2010)
We're not all like that, Kwela (2007)
Ons is nie almal so nie, Kwela (2006)
’n Pawpaw vir my darling, Kwela (2006)
CNA Prize (1990) – Ons is nie almal so nie
Rapport Prize (1990) – Ons is nie almal so nie
M-Net Prize (1991) – Ons is nie almal so nie
Rapport Prize (1992) – Drie eenakters
Afrikaans Onbeperk Award from the KKNK (1998) Ons is nie almal so nie (novel) 1992 o.a. Daantjie Dromer (novel) 1995 ’n Gelyke kans (short stories) 2001 Wie is Jan Hoender? (novella) 2001 Straataf (short stories) 2002 ’n Pawpaw vir my darling (novel)
List of titles
1971 ’n Uil vlieg weg
2007 Elders aan diens
1975 ’n Uil vlieg weg (novella)
1986 ’n Kat in die sak (short stories) 1987 Louoond (novella) 1990 Ons is nie almal so nie (roman)
1992 o.a. Daantjie Dromer (novel)
1995 ’n Gelyke kans (short stories)
2001 Wie is Jan Hoender? (novella)
2001 Straataf (kortverhale)
2002 ’n Pawpaw vir my darling (novel)
2010 Plante kan praat (short stories)
1992 Drie eenakters: Kombuis-blues; Kopstukke; ’n Koffer in die kas
Ons is nie almal so nie (1990)
- English (Not all of us, 1992; We're not all like that, 2007), Dutch (1993), French (1993)
Excerpts from reviews
“What a funny, anger-provoking and poignant book”. – Albie Sachs on We're not all like that
“Ons is nie almal so nie is like a fresh breeze in the current, rather stuffy literary scene and a delightful relief from the self-absorbedness, aesthetic pretentions or the unholy guilt trips of the mommies and daddies that are served up now and again to Afrikaans readers these days.” – Gunter Pakendorf, Die Burger (1990)